Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin Carving Time


We always seem to wait till the last minute to carve pumpkins, oh well, it got done. The girls actually put their hands in the guts but not for long. J and I did most of the work, I should say, all of the work. I got an idea from a friend, ash, to print out pumpkin stencils. So we were a little more creative this year. I showed the girls the stencils and let them pick one out. Addi picked the friendly ghost and Kylynn picked a jack-o-lantern face, not the typical though. It was a challenge for me to veer from the usual but I can honestly say it was pretty easy and fun. Besides a little crampy hand it wasn't that bad.
As we were carving I said, Grandpa VanDyke should be here. He always loved carving pumpkins, or did he just do it cause we loved it. Anyway, next year we will need another adult to tackle Easton's pumpkin. Or maybe we shouldn't wait till the last minute. I love the tradition of carving pumpkins and hopefully some day I'll have a nice porch to place them on. Dreaming I know, but I am one for traditions and I can't wait to get into a neighborhood where my kids trick or treat in the neighborhood with their friends and we take a picture on the front porch with their pumpkins and costumes. It will happen, until then we'll trick or treat at grandpa and grandma's houses. This year we'll try something new. Stay tuned for photos.Addi didn't mind the guts, she just listened to her sister and didn't want to do itthis is the extent of what she took out, not a fan of the guts
daddy working on addi's pumpkin
trying something new
the girls with their pumpkins

our ghost and jack-o-lantern

No comments: