Sunday, January 23, 2011

Heaven's gain, our loss

On Friday while I was on my way to pick up my kids I received a phone call no one ever likes to receive. My dad called and said he had some bad news about Christina Klein. I was thinking, cancer, a car accident, never in my wildest dreams did I think she would take her life. That is just what he told me. I was hysterical, mind you I'm driving. My dad was crying, I was crying, he said Kristi be careful and I made it safely to my destination, but I was devastated.
Christina, Trev, Mom, Me, Dad, and Kari
(so sorry Kari, but I can't find any other pictures of our whole family with her)

Let me fill you in on how Christina came to be so special to our family. In '94 she ran for cherry queen and if you know our family that is something we have been very involved in. She became cherry queen and spent the year traveling with my parents because my dad was president of the cherry festival that year. She became the big sister I never had, our adopted sister and my parents adopted older daughter we would say. While walking through the airport or into an event heads would turn, she is absolutely beautiful and not only on the outside but on the inside as well. Through the years we have seen her at cherry festival events and she lived in Grand Rapids for awhile and Jason and I had the privilege of visiting shortly after she had Caroline. We had dinner with them and I remember her making a special braided chicken recipe, delicious. As a mom myself now I look back and think she went to all that trouble for us. Then again another memory I remember visiting her at the hospital after she had her 3rd child Michael. It was during Cherry Festival and I got to hold him. I had just learned the day before that I was pregnant for Addisyn and she was one of the first people I told. She was so excited for me. Every year I look forward to her Christmas cards because she was so involved in her children's lives and I enjoyed learning about what they were up to. Their family pictures were always fun to receive as well, they have a beautiful family. She also was so good to my children, for Addisyn's birth she sent us a book, which I went and found yesterday, titled You are all my favorites. She wrote the neatest note in there and it was just like her to be so caring and compassionate. She said that this is the book that she buys for all second time parents. I think I want to continue that tradition for her. I will never forget her handwriting, the most beautiful cursive handwriting. I will cherish that book.
Kari, Mom, Christina, Carson, and I
(at the cherry festival fashion show
as you can see a beautiful woman she was)

I just can't believe that she was hurting so bad and is now gone. My heart is breaking for her family and for all that could have been.
Christina was such an amazing woman and I am still in complete shock that she is gone. She leaves behind her husband and three children, Carolyn, Carson, and Michael. Please be in prayers for her family and those whose lives she touched.

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I was shocked to hear this too! Although I didn't know Christina personally, I know the bond that your family had with her. You all are definitely in my prayers as we may never understand the reasons why.